Cromwell Community Toastmasters
Club 5908 ~ District 53
February 19, 2013
Attendees: Sixteen members attended: Tom Alvord, Bo Bogart Karen Breton,Linda Campbell, Chu-Chiang, Rob Dalo, Charlie Hubert, Elizabeth Landeen, Phil Mason, Donald Ostertag, Hollie Rose, Sharon Roth, Rammanohar Rudravajhala, Crystal Storo, Heather Turner, Asha
Guests: Anthony, Bobbi and Evan Glenn
- The meeting was called to order at 5:35 by Tom Alvord (acting Sergeant at Arms).
- Rob reminded us of the area training meeting at Northeast Utilities, Berlin Turnpike, from 6:30-9:00 on February 20th.
- Heather encouraged us to attend the joint Glastonbury/Cromwell Toastmaster clubs meeting on Monday, March 4th at 6:30-8:30. Directions to the meeting are on our website. Several roles are still available.
- Our regular meeting will be held on March 5th.
- Crystal mentioned the upcoming International Table Topics and Speech Contest which will be held on March 19th with a briefing session (5:30-6:00) to precede the regular meeting. She indicated that we need people to sign up for several roles: contest master, judges, and ballot counters. Hollie volunteered as chairperson.
- There was a discussion and vote taken regarding the inclusion of Happy Hour after the meeting or on another day.
- Guests Anthony, Bobbi and Evan were welcomed by Rob.
- Asha was inducted as a new member to Cromwell Community Toastmasters and Sharon Roth was awarded her Advanced Communicator Gold Award. Rob related the story of how he heard Sharon on the Faith Middleton call-in show, 'Celebrating the Richness of Life' and how great it was that she mentioned Toastmasters in the discussion.
- Crystal completed the District Club Program Goals chart and announced that we are now a President's Distinguished Club. Of the 152 clubs in our district we are the ONLY one to achieve this distinction.
- Rob and the officers proposed a toast to our club members and club's success with refreshments and cupcakes! We sang Happy Birthday to two of our members celebrating birthdays today: Chu-Chiang and Heather.
Toastmaster: Tom Alvord ACB, ALB
Invocation: Elizabeth Landeen gave us four excellent, thought-provoking quotes:
"Excuses are nails that build houses of failure."
"Victory does not teach the way that failure does."
"We all have to fight against our fears . Everyone has limits...not everyone has to accept them."
"Goals are your dreams with work boots on."
Word Master: Karen Breton
Word - of - the - Day: Articulate- adjective/verb- meaning to pronounce distinctly-" I couldn't articulate my fears."
Table Topics Master: Rammanohar Rudravajhala
Theme: Valentine's Day
Elizabeth Landeen - Why do we celebrate Valentine's Day...come up with new/fun reasons. Elizabeth related the meaning of Valentines day to her.
Charlie Hubert - You gave a special person in your life the same card last year. Charlie related how he gives the same card each year using coupons for household chores.
Asha - If your significant other's allergic to chocolate/flowers, what would you give him/her? Asha discussed giving a Valentine's Day card.
Chu-Chiang - What would be your perfect Valentine's Day present to receive? Chu-Chaing discussed giving watermelon ( colors have special meanings of friendship), apple ( small, not very expensive), and hot drinks ( in winter) and milk ( in summer).
Evan - Respond to Ann Lander's quote, " If you have love in your life, it can make up for what you lack; if you don't have it no matter what else you have, it is never enough." Do you agree? Evan agreed that the people you love in your life are more important than material things and help you get through hard times. Without that you are always looking to fill that void in your life.
Speaker # 1: Crystal Storo CL
Manual/Project: Competent Communication #6 Vocal Variety
Title: How My Nightmare Made a Difference
Speaker # 2: Amy Ansah CC
Manual/Project: Advanced Manual/To Inform
Speaker # 3: Donald Ostertag
Manual/Project: Custom Speech/No manual/ Reading
Title: Toastmasters Builds Confidence article by John Lau, Dec. 2012
Speaker # 4: Sharon Roth ACS, ALB
Manual/Project: ( 5th) Competent Communication/ #8 Getting Comfortable with Visual Aids
Title: Seneca Falls, Selma, and Stonewall
Speaker # 5: Heather Turner ACB CL
Manual/Project: Custom Speech/No Manual
Title: Giving Effective Feedback
General Evaluator: Holllie Rose
Hollie congratulated Sharon on attaining her Advanced Communicator Gold Award, thanked the guests for attending tonight's meeting, further thanked Rob for recognizing both past and present officers for their service as well as Mano for including guests in Table Topics. She suggested we make provisions for having the Toastmaster direction signs placed when Charlie is not in attendance and reminded us to leave three vacant seats near the door for guests.
Evaluator # 1: Tom Alvord (Crystal Storo) ACB,ALB
Evaluator # 2: Heather Turner (Amy Ansah) ACB
Evaluator # 3: No evaluation (Don Ostertag)
Evaluator # 4: Rob Dalo (Sharon Roth)
Evaluator # 5: Elizabeth Landeen (Heather Turner)
Grammarian: Bo Bogart
Ah Counter: Don Ostertag
Timer: Phil Mason CC
At the close of the meeting Rob reminded us that we are a dynamic President's Distinguished Club. He encouraged the guests to offer their thoughts on tonight's meeting. Evan said he enjoyed standing up and speaking...got a rush...everyone did a great job...and the cupcakes were nice." Bobbi commented that it was "very good, friendly and fun". Anthony said he brought his wife and son this time "got a lot out of it" and saw "tremendous potential". Rob thanked us all for coming to the meeting. Heather added that we have achieved PRESIDENT'S DISTINGUISHED CLUB THREE YEARS IN A ROW!
Area Training Seminar: February 20th 6:30-9:00 at Northeast Utilities, Berlin Tpk, Berlin
Toastmasters meeting: March 4th. Directions on our website.
International Table Topics and Speech Contest: March 19th at Cromwell Townhall
The next (regular) meeting: March 5th
Respectfully submitted by
Linda Campbell, Co-secretary