Friday, March 4, 2016

Meeting Minutes 2-16-16



Cromwell Community Toastmasters
Club 5908 ~ District 53
Tues February 16, 2016


Attendees:    Hollie Rose, Donald Ostertag, Bill Sullivan, Jeevan Kale, Danielle Payne, Sheetal Patel

Guests
: Winston, Daniel, Maribel


Business Meeting

The Contests for Tall Tales and International Speeches and it will be held on March 1st.


Toastmaster Sheetal Patel


Invocation Maribel  

Maribel read a poem entitled “Shadow.”

Table Topics Hollie Rose
Individualized questions

What is the best thing about Cromwell?
0:56 Sheetal – Cromwell is quiet with no hype. It is like a friendly village. There are also good schools.

Tell us about salsa dancing.
2:42 Maribel – I started in 2000. My sister got me involved. I took many lessons in small groups. I fell in love with it. I have also done salsa dancing in St. Louis, Las Vegas, New York and Rhode Island.

Do you cook island food?
2:06 Winston – Growing up on the island we collected coconuts and started selling them for money. We also made and sold sugar cake which is sugar and coconut.

Tell us about the beginning in Marine boot camp.
2:29 Don – I joined the Marines at the last minute. The first day we were all headed towards DC and we got off the train. The military police told us to get back on. I had no trouble with the physical part because there were guys in my group who were slower than me.

Tell us something about yourself.
2:06 Daniel – I am not from around here. I came from Romania on a short term work visa and wanted to stay. I finally got my accounting degree.  

Tell us something about math.
1:54 Danielle – Pi day is the best day of the year. It is one March 14th because pi is approximated to 3.14. In high school I had a bunch of people all put different digits on their shirts with duct tape and we lined up to take a picture.

Tell us about work.
2:16 Jeevan – I work at Yale University’s IT support system. I provide IDs for students and staff. I say what they can and cannot do. I have to stay late sometimes.


Speaker # 1:  William Sullivan:  4:32
Manual/Project: Speeches by Management
Title: Delivering Bad News

This club has done a great job of earning the title of Distinguished Club for 5 years in a row. We have had Distinguished Toastmasters here and some people have done very well at the competitions. I have personally developed and grown. It is now my time to leave. I will have to discontinue being part of this club. I have a better job now and more responsibilities. Thank you to everyone. I hope to come back and see how this club has grown.


Speaker # 2:  Don Ostertag: 4:36
Manual/Project: Reading Out Loud
Title: A Table Topics Workout by: Maureen Zappala, DTM

Table Topics is an important part of any Toastmasters meeting and it is a powerful tool for growth. Everyday we engage in impromptu speaking. Participating in Table Topics helps you develop critical and organized thinking skills because you have to think quickly.


Speaker # 3:  Winston: 6:40
Manual/Project: Competent Communicator # 1 – The Ice Breaker
Title: Isaac, Will and Myself

I meet Will in 7th grade. Back then, I kept to myself. But we had a lot of fun together. It was time to think about where to go to high school. I didn’t know where I wanted to go or what I wanted to do. I was skinny and I could run. Larry Stubbs from Prince Tech encouraged me to go there. I did end up going to Prince Tech were I met Isaac. Isaac was big, tall and strong. Will, Isaac and I had many adventures together.


Evaluator # 1: Hollie Rose 2:40

I felt that the news was being delivered to me. I didn’t know where it was going at first.  You set a calm and soothing atmosphere. All bad news should be delivered this way. I'm so glad the delivered news was untrue.

Evaluator # 2:  - No Evaluation for Don

Evaluator # 3:  Bill Sullivan 2:31

Thank you for stepping up. You were a natural. You also had a good story. You could have worked the closing better if you had more time. You don’t need to say the title. Overall, great job.


Officials’ Reports:

WordMaster: Danielle

Deluge -
a great flood of water


Timer:  Donald Ostertag Times given, See above.


Ah Counter: Bill Sullivan

Hollie – 1 “so”
Danielle – 1 “so”
Don – 2 “ah”, 1 “um”, 3 “ah”, 1”so”, 1 “um”, 1 “ok:
Winston – 1 “you know”
Sheetal – 1 “and”
Maribel – “ah”, “so”, “and”
Winston – 1 “ah”, “so”, “um”, “and”, “really”, “basically”
Don – 1 “ah”, 3 “um”
Dan – “ah”, “um”, “and”
Danielle – “1 ah”, “so”, “um”, “and”
Jeevan – 1 “so”,  1 “um”, 1 “and”


Grammarian:  Jeevan Kale

Hollie- math things
Winston – sugar cane


General Evaluator: Sheetal Patel

It was a short meeting. Everyone did a great job.  Thank you.


Closing: Hollie Rose

The Contests  for Tall Tales and International Speeches and it will be held on March 1st.

Winston and Maribel are joining.


Next meeting: March 1, 2016


Respectfully submitted by
Danielle Payne, Secretary

No comments:

Post a Comment